- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (reserve 1-2 tbsp on the side as garnish)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 drops peppermint extract, or more depending on your taste
- 12 ounces (350 grams) high quality dark chocolate
- Cupcake wrappers (large or small, your choice)
- Add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt to a food processor and allow it to run for several minutes until the coconut smooths out. You may need to add slightly more coconut oil, and if your blade isn't sharp, you'll not end up with a totally smooth result. You may want to opt for a store-bought coconut butter if you don't have a machine that can handle the coconut.
- Stir in the peppermint extract one drop at a time until it's as minty as you prefer.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, gently melt the chocolate. I prefer a double boiler since it's easy to keep the chocolate spreadable.
- Place a spoonful of melted chocolate into the wrapper, smoothing it out with the back of the spoon to create sides and a bottom. Refrigerate until hardened.
- Then, scoop a small amount of the filling into the cup and flatten until it covers the bottom. Hint: one batch of the coconut butter filling should make ~6 large cups or 10-12 small ones.
- Place another spoonful of melted chocolate on top and smooth out. Refrigerate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator for best results. May also be kept frozen!
Use pre-made coconut butter. Experiment with different toppings like extra shredded coconut or sea salt.
Check out stupideasypaleo.com for more sweet treats!